My first MoRun

November 06, 2016

Today I participated in the Newcastle MoRun 2016, raising money for the Movember Foundation.





Firstly I want to explain what the Mo Run is and what the charity is all about. This piece of text has been taken from the MoRunning and Movember Foundation website:
"When you commit to a MoRun, you raise awareness. But when you also commit to raise money for the Movember Foundation, you change the future of men's health.
With MoRunning, you're part of a community, a family, a team. When you step up to that start line, remember that you're helping men live longer, healthier lives." - https://www.mo-running.com/about-morunning
"We’re the only charity tackling men’s health on a global scale, year round. We’re addressing some of the biggest health issues faced by men: prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and mental health and suicide prevention. We know what works for men, and how to find and fund the most innovative research to have both a global and local impact. We're independent of government funding, so we can challenge the status quo and invest quicker in what works. In 13 years we’ve funded more than 1,200 men’s health projects around the world." - https://uk.movember.com/about/foundation
The atmosphere of the Newcastle MoRun was incredible! Lots of people dressed up. (I even stuck a pink moustache on myself!) The weather was horrendous, rain and wind but that didn't dampen our spirits. There were children running, a mother running and pushing her baby in a pram, running clubs and individuals. 
My advice would definitely be to run with someone. I am part of a running club and although we all started together, we lost each other in the crowd when the race started which meant I was running alone for 99% of the race which was a bit boring. It also meant I was able to stop whenever I wanted to as I had no one to motivate me to push through! My finish time reflected this as when doing the Race for Life, every time I wanted to stop I didn't in fear I would be left behind and have to run alone. Some people prefer to run alone and if so that's great, more power to you! I seen a few people with their headphones in and just getting on with it and they flew past me so it obviously works for them. So just do you and what you're comfortable with and you'll enjoy it!
The only downside to this event, well not the event itself but the 'hype' around it. Or lack of it. I only heard about the MoRun through my running club, had I not been part of the group I don't think I would have heard it anywhere else. Unlike the Race for Life, there was zero media coverage from the local newspapers in the run up or on the day of the event which I found very disappointing. I expected some involvement on the day but there was no music stations, no local reporters/journalists like at the Race for Life. Coming out on a windy, rainy, cold November day is not easy and to not even have any acknowledgement or involvement with anyone outside of the event I think isn't great or motivating. It also doesn't allow others who don't race to hear about the event, which means it's not raising awareness for people to donate to the cause.
My favourite thing about the event (apart from people donating to the charity) is coming away with this funky medal! 



(Please excuse the crumbs, the first thing I did after the race was get some food! ;P)

Hoping to do this race again next year and raise money for a great charity. Hopefully this post inspires someone to do a race for charity or donate to someone who is.

Thanks for reading, Laura-Beth X 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram